Self-catering rental accommodation
Secluded country house on a peninsular
on the romantic west coast of Scotland
...a beautiful secluded Georgian house by the sea on the west coast of Scotland. Self-catering for 12.
Please note: in 2017 the owners are only taking bookings for May, June and July.
Taynish House is a 6 bedroom, listed country house set in several acres of secluded woodland and wetland. An idyllic location, at the end of a wooded peninsula between two sea lochs. It is remote and completely private, with the nearest village of Tayvallich 3 miles away. Access is via a single track, untarmacked road, through Taynish Nature Reserve.
The house is surrounded on three sides by land owned by Scottish Natural Heritage, and on the fourth side is land owned by the house which connects to the foreshore of the loch. From the house to the foreshore is about 150 metres, where you will find a historic bathhouse with open fire and private jetty; a perfect spot for picnics. The house is also let with the use of an inflatable dinghy with paddles and there are two kayaks and also several lobster pots. You can catch mackerel, sea trout, saithe and edible crabs. The whole peninsula is in fact a wildlife sanctuary with otters, deer, butterflies, sea birds, herons, and sea urchins. The sea loch is well known for sailing and the nearest village has a natural harbour with slipway.
In Tayvallich, there is a renowned seafood restaurant and pub, the Tayvallich Inn, as well as a Village store and Coffee Shop. For excursions further afield both Oban and Inveraray are around a one hour drive away. The area is full of places of historical interest, beautiful scenery, and lots of wonderful wildlife. There's endless opportunities for walking, cycling and fishing.
The house itself has history dating back to the 1600s, and claims to be one of the oldest inhabited unfortified houses in Argyll. Although parts of the house have had to evolve over time, many beautiful features remain. It is a wonderful and charming family home, with large rooms, full of character, shabby and much loved.
There is a telephone, but there is no television, you will not find Wifi, and will struggle to find a mobile phone signal! This is a home perfectly suited for gathering family and friends who wish to relax and get away from it all.
- Hall with flagstones leading to:
- Kitchen - large farmhouse style, with stone floor, a 4-door oil-fired Aga, telephone, fridge freezer, gas cooker with single oven.
- Adjoining larder.
- Dining room - dining room table seats 10.
- Passage - tiled passage leading to
- Sitting room with open fire burning logs or coal.
- Downstairs loo - with wc, belfast sink.
- Front Hall with flagstones leading to:
- Drawing room - distant views over the sea loch, and the garden. Open fire burning logs or coal.
Stairs leading to:
- Small room half way up the stairs which is a small children's Playroom. It has a children's size table and chairs and a view over the garden.
- Landing with corridor leading to:
- Bedroom 1 - 1 double bed, 2 singles.
- Bedroom 2 - 2 single beds.
- Bedroom 3 - 1 king-size bed.
- Bathroom - cast iron, free standing, tub-like bath with high sides, wc and basin.
- Bedroom 4 - 2 single beds.
- Bedroom 5 - 1 king-size bed.
- Bedroom 6 - 1 king-size bed and 1 single bed.
- En suite is second bathroom with wc, basin and standard bath with shower attachment. This bathroom can also be accessed from the corridor.
Bedding - there are single and double duvets for all the beds plus blankets and pillows. Bed linen and towels are not provided.
Cleaning - we ask that tenants leave the house tidy . The house will be cleaned at the end of each let.
Electricity - provided by a generator located in an engine house.
Heating - apart from the two open fires there are three calor gas heaters downstairs. There is no heating upstairs, except in the ensuite bathroom
Water - this comes from a borehole and is drinkable.
Kitchen - there is china, glass, cutlery, and kitchen utensils provided.
Lawn mowing - this is arranged by the owners. Once a week a local person will come to cut the grass.
Please note: There is no dishwasher, washing machine, or TV.
Numbers and change over time/day
Taynish House accommodates up to 12, but can sleep more. Please let us know the size of your group and we can discuss options. Rental period is from Saturday to Saturday. Outgoing tenants are asked to vacate by 10am, and incoming tenants may arrive any time after 3pm.
Dogs are allowed with prior permission from the owners. Outside the garden dogs must be kept under control.
In 2017 the owners are only taking bookings for May, June and July.
May, June: £785 - £1655 (i.e. 6 persons: £785, 7/8 persons: £1020, 9/12 persons: £1270, 13/14 persons: £1655).
Weekly charge includes fuel for the Aga and generator. It also includes use of the inflatable dinghy with paddles, two kayaks and the lobster pots. Telephone Calls are the only extra.
"This is an old and much loved family home which we believe is full of charm and character. It has been enjoyed by tenants for over 40 years. We hope, if you rent the house, you have a very enjoyable holiday."
To enquire or to book:
Tel: 07786 657 577
or from outside the UK:
Tel: 44 7786 657 577
Please leave a message with your contact details.
Please tell Lisa you found Taynish House through About Scotland!