About 30 miles south-east of Oban and 15 miles south of Taynuilt stands Kilmun, a traditional farmhouse, which has been on the same site since before 1745, in an idyllic location overlooking Loch Awe just 400 yards away, and set amidst the rocky, wooded and heather-clad slopes of the loch's western shore.
At the back of the house the large patio-windows of the sitting room look out on to a wide decking area which has views across a little burn to tree-clad hills (waterfalls and well-marked walks) while at the front (garden furniture and barbecue) there are panoramic views of Loch Awe itself.
You are not far from the many mountain-bike trails here and bikes may be hired. Fishing and boating are also available a little further down the lochside. What is now a nature reserve was once the old Caledonian Oak Forest and remains of it are still visible as is evidence of the charcoal-burners of the 18th and 19th centuries.
At Kilchrenan (7m) there are two very good hotels beside the loch and a pub. Dalavich (1m) has a village shop and café. The closest collection of shops is at Taynuilt which you reach by negotiating a stunning but winding single track road. Oban is 40 minutes away and has supermarkets and the opportunity for boat trips to Mull, Staffa and Iona. Climbers will be pleased to learn that there are several Munros within an hour's drive and for those who just wish to relax and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere there are the magnificent views from every window in the house.
Background oil central-heating, and fuel for the wood-burning stove is included. Bed-linen is included, and towels can be hired. Additionally, there are two single futon beds available for hire. Pets are welcome. There is a telephone. Smoking is not allowed within the house. Wi-Fi is available, subject to provider.
Accommodation (sleeps 8/12):
- 40-ft long open-plan sitting/dining room with wood-burning stove, TV/DVD (Freeview), radio, tape/ CD player;
- and a large well-fitted kitchen-area with electric-cooker, gas-hob, microwave, fridge, dishwasher, etc., plus telephone.
- Hallway with larder off with freezer; and utility-room with washing-machine and drying racks.
- Double (queen size) bed-room with patio-windows.
- Twin-bed room with patio-windows.
- Bathroom with bath, WC and basin.
- Double (queen size) bed-room.
- Twin-bed room
- Room with power-shower, WC and basin.
- Additionally there are two single futon-beds in each of the twin-bed rooms.