Bed and Breakfast
Bed and Breakfast accommodation (optional dinner)
near Peebles and next to Stobo Castle Health Spa
Glentress Mountain Bike Trail - 15 mins drive.
(south of Edinburgh)
Ideal for exploring the gardens, castles, hills and valleys of the Tweed and Scottish Borders.
Edinburgh 25 miles
Peebles 6 miles
Dawyck Botanic Gardens 2 miles
Home Farm was originally the factor's house for Stobo Castle (next door), and is a traditional stone-built farmhouse with a Georgian courtyard of 1805, and an entrance under a Scottish Baronial turret.
Georgina and Hugh Seymour warmly welcome guests to stay for bed and breakfast (dinner and picnics also available with advance notice).
Reached by a quarter mile drive the house is set in a beautiful landscape of mature trees and gardens (see view above). Staying here you have the added advantage of being able to visit the famous 5 acre Japanese Water Garden (see below), hidden a couple of hundred yards away across the croquet lawn in the valley below. This is not normally open to the public, except under Scotland's Garden Scheme once a year in October.
The house has three twin bedrooms. Two have a private bathroom and one has a dressing room with an extra single bed and bathroom en suite.
Above left and right; Two views of the main bedroom which has two large windows looking over the garden to the hills around about. Private bathroom (bath, basin and wc) a couple of steps away.
Right; Twin bedroom with single bedroom or dressing room (left) and bathroom en suite.
On the top floor is a third bedroom with a private bathroom, not photographed here.
Bedrooms have tea and coffee making facilities and electric blankets.
Right; Breakfast is served at the table under the window in the Sitting Room (photo above right).
Breakfast can range from a fully cooked Scottish breakfast to a lighter Continental style breakfast, as you prefer.
Georgina is an excellent cook; staying for dinner is highly recommended! (Please book extra meals at least 48 hours in advance).
As far as possible ingredients are from the garden or locally sourced.
What to do around about:
- Visit Dawyck Botanic Garden - one of the finest gardens in Scotland, just two miles away.
- Trout fishing (one rod) is always available on the four acre loch above the waterfall of the Japanese Water Garden. Also, other local fishing can be arranged.
- There are several golf courses in the close neighbourhood.
- Stobo Home Farm is a halfway house for the John Buchan Way - a 13 mile walk between Peebles and Broughton, so walkers are very welcome.
- For bikers Glentress Mountain Bike trail is 15 minute drive away through Peebles. There is secure storage for bikes at Stobo Home Farm B&B.
- In the local village there are jewellery and silversmith workshops run by Adrian Hope and Linda Lewin.
- Peebles, 6 miles, good restaurants, pubs, etc. and a vibrant arts centre with theatre and cinema.
- Peebles to Edinburgh, and Edinburgh to Peebles. There is an hourly bus service.
For two nights or more: £40 per person per night, based on two people sharing, and including breakfast.
For one night: £45 per person per night, based on two people sharing, and including breakfast.
Please note, Saturday nights are £45 pppn.
Bridge in the Japanese Water Garden. Staying at Home Farm you have unique access to this beautiful 100 year old garden, normally only open to the public once ayear.
Waterfalls, pools, a tea house, stone lanterns, bamboo, mature Japanese Umbrella Pines, maples, azaleas, and Katsura.
To enquire or to book:
Note: Hugh and Georgina are often in the garden. If so, you please leave your message and number if you telephone!
Peebles, EH45 8NX
Tel: 01721 760 245
Fax: 01721 760 319
(or from outside the UK:
Tel: 44 1721 760 245
Fax: 44 1721 760 319)
Please tell Georgina and Hugh you found Home Farm through About Scotland!
Courtyard garden with roses and honeysuckle.