Scottish Tourist Guide
We're proud to recommend:
Margot McMurdo, Blue Badge Scottish Tourist Guide.
Like or Share my Facebook Page.
Heroes of Scotland
Robert the Bruce
A Full Day Tour
Robert the Bruce (1274-1329)
- A heroic leader and Scotland's great patriot king, the real "braveheart", the culmination of his struggle being the great victory of Bannockburn.
Rob Roy MacGregor (1671-1734)
- A rogue and romantic hero, also a cattle-dealer and warrior who inspired Sir Walter Scott to write about his exploits.
William Wallace (1267-1305)
- An heroic leader of a national war of liberation.
Jacobite Jock (1689-1746 and beyond!)
- An old warrior, a balladeer, a story teller, a man of his time.
A wonderful day following in the footsteps of William Wallace, Rob Roy and Robert the Bruce, all recently portrayed in films - Braveheart (Mel Gibson): Rob Roy (Liam Neeson) and The Bruce (Sandy Welch).
I can arrange presentations of Rob Roy (with a whisky tasting if desired); King Robert the Bruce or Jacobite Jock to bring the history really alive, fun and informative. This can be a very full day as there is much to see and a distance to cover, but the day can be tailored to suit your specific interests.
Above Left; Jacobite Jock Above Right; Rob Roy MacGregor. Below Left; Robert the Bruce with The Declaration of Arbroath.
Visit Stirling Castle and the National Wallace Monument on the Abbey Craig where Wallace gathered his army before the Battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297. At Stirling Castle, recently voted the United Kingdom's Best Heritage Attraction, you can step back in time to the 16th century in the beautifully restored Royal apartments and meet characters from the Royal Court who will tell you of their lives filled with plots, passion, intrigue and high fashion.
Robert the Bruce
Visit Bannockburn, the site of the great battlefield in 1314 where King Robert the Bruce routed the forces of King Edward II to win freedom for the Scots from English domination.
2014 heralded the opening of a brand new exhibition centre marking the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn, harnessing state-of-the-art 3D technology. Visitors experience medieval combat like never before and learn more about this crucial event in Scottish history.
Take your place on the battlefield, stand face to face with fearless, medieval warriors with the hopes of two opposing kings - Robert the Bruce of Scotland and Edward II of England - whose tactics changed the path of Scotland's history forever.
Tea/coffee and comfort stop!
Travel through the Trossachs and into MacGregor country! Past Doune Castle and on to Callander where you can decide for yourself - was Rob Roy a villain or a Scottish Robin Hood? Incidentally, Doune Castle was used the filming of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and is well worth a visit if you are a fan and if time allows.
The Scarth family enjoying Rob Roy country.
Continuing our journey through Bonnie Strathyre to Rob Roy's final resting place at Balquhidder
Lunch and comfort stop!
On to Loch Katrine, the birthplace of Rob Roy and the inspiration for Sir Walter Scott's poem "The Lady of the Lake". Time and weather permitting, maybe an afernoon cruise on the loch.
Travelling over the Dukes Pass to Aberfoyle for a spot of shopping.
Tea/coffee and comfort stop!
Returning, via Scotland's only lake, the Lake of Menteith, and Inchmahome Priory where Mary Queen of Scots spent part of her early childhood.
Robert the Bruce with two Highlanders.
What some people have said about time spent in this part of Scotland:
- "I've never had such a welcome - I've never seen anything like it" - Mel Gibson
- "It's wonderful to stand there, dressed in the period and know that these hills and mountains haven't changed in millennia - that Rob Roy and his clan actually trudged those hills and would have seen those views and marvelled at those sunsets" - Liam Neeson.
The term Jacobite became the name for those who supported James VII after his disposition. Jacobus is latin for James.
Jacobite Jock will tell you of the real Scotland, from the true costume of the Highlander and their daily lives and their struggle to remain outwith the British Empire, with stories, songs and lots of humour but tinged with pathos and a lament for a culture outlawed by a great force, only for it to rise again in diluted form.
Expect to be amused and informed but truly inspired. Jacobite Jock is a story teller, an old warrior, a baladeer, a man of his time,a 'man for all seasons'.
1. Guiding Only
You supply a fully insured coach and driver that is qualified to drive on our roads and I will guide.
I driver guide you in a luxury, air-conditioned Mercedes Viano cdi X-clusive which is fully insured (maximum 6 passengers).
3. Minibus/coach with driver and guide (For groups with over 6 passengers)
I will arrange a suitable fully insured vehicle for your group with my business colleague who has many years driving experience. They will be your driver and myself as your guide.
Prices for the above options on application.
To enquire or book:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/fax +44 (0)1899 880207
Please see: Terms and conditions
- In order to avoid disappointment, please try to book at least 4 weeks in advance. If that's impossible contact me anyway, and I'll do my best!
Rob Roy MacGregor and visitors
Special Stirling Area Events for 2020
You may like to incorporate these events into your visit.
- Stirling Whisky Festival 8th and 9th May
- Alva Highland Games 11th July
- Balqhidder Highland Games 25th July
- Airth Highland Games 25th July
- Bridge of Allan Highland Games 2nd August
- Stirling Highland Games 15th August